Natural Lighting is Great in a Bathroom, But If There Aren't Any Windows or a Skylight, You Could Always Add Some Lighting Next to the Vanity.
When it comes to designing a bathroom, having natural light is always a plus. However, not all bathrooms have windows or skylights, which means that they may feel dark and dingy. If this is the case in your bathroom, don't worry! There is a solution: adding vanity lighting.
Vanity lighting is a great way to brighten up your bathroom and make it feel more inviting. Here are some tips on how to add vanity lighting when there's no natural light:
- Determine the Type of Lighting You Need Before you start shopping for vanity lighting, it's essential to determine the type of lighting you need. There are three types of lighting to consider:
- Ambient lighting: This type of lighting provides overall illumination for the room.
- Task lighting: This type of lighting illuminates a specific area, such as a vanity.
- Accent lighting: This type of lighting adds drama and depth to the room.
For a bathroom without natural light, task lighting is the most important. You'll want to focus on illuminating the vanity area to make it easier to see yourself in the mirror.
- Choose the Right Style Once you've determined the type of lighting you need, it's time to choose the right style. There are many different styles of vanity lighting to choose from, including:
- Wall sconces: These are a popular choice for bathroom vanity lighting. They come in a variety of styles, from modern to traditional, and can be mounted on either side of the mirror or above it.
- Pendant lights: Pendant lights are a stylish option that can add a unique touch to your bathroom. They can be hung in a cluster or individually and come in a range of styles.
- Strip lights: These are a popular choice for those who want a sleek and modern look. They can be mounted above or below the mirror and provide even lighting.
When choosing the right style, consider the overall design of your bathroom. You'll want to choose something that complements the existing decor and adds to the overall aesthetic.
- Determine the Placement Once you've chosen the style of vanity lighting you want, it's time to determine the placement. The goal is to provide even lighting across the vanity area, so it's essential to get the placement right.
If you're installing wall sconces, they should be mounted approximately 60 inches from the floor and 28 inches apart. If you're using strip lights, they should be mounted above or below the mirror, approximately 75 inches from the floor.
- Hire a Professional Installing vanity lighting may seem like a simple task, but it can be challenging if you're not experienced. If you're not confident in your abilities, it's best to hire a professional to do the job for you. This will ensure that the lighting is installed correctly and safely.
In conclusion, adding vanity lighting to a bathroom without natural light is a great way to brighten up the space and make it more inviting. By determining the type of lighting you need, choosing the right style, determining the placement, and hiring a professional, you'll have a beautifully lit bathroom in no time.